Thursday, November 26, 2009

~~The Three Musketeers~~

Yes, when I said 'The Three Musketeer', I mean Da 'The Three Musketeer', Da Classic by Alexandre Dumas. Believe it or not, I haven't read it until recently (to be precise I finished yesterday), so I've decided to say a thing ot two about this piece and maybe some would be interested enough to pick up this book. Three word: I LOVE IT!!!! This post is more likely 'a book review' so feel free to read if you're interested in books and novels.

 Yes, it's classic. Yes, some people might think it's boring and honestly I too felt the same until recently. There's a few 'incident' that led me to actually read the book. First was the movie 'Slumdog Millionaire'. If you've watched the movie, then you would understand. The last question for the hero to be a millionaire was the name of the third musketeer. I didn't know and it was killing me. Then I found out that the names of the musketeers was Athos, Porthos and Aramis. That satisfied me for a while. The second incident was when I watch the movie 'The Ugly Truth' (truth be told; the movie is ugly and REALLy dirty). The name of Katherine Heigl's cat was d'Artagnan. Somehow that name ring a bell but I couldn't immediately remember. Then I found out it was the name of one of the main characters in The Three Musketeer. So, now I've known. The third incident was the ultimate knock-out. It was when I watched purely by chance a new piece from Mitani Kouki ( a famous script/screen writer in Japan). It's a wooden puppet drama title 'Neo-The Three Musketeer' (新三銃士). Some might think it's a little childish, (yeah puppets) but it's a very nice show. The puppets seemed real and filled with emotions. I really like it. But since the tittle is 'Neo' so there must be some changes and being someone who cannot bear not knowing; I decided to read the original novel.

    Luckily our college library is filled with classic english novels. Not the recent or modern novels but all classic. And I found the novel in no time. So I began reading it between classes and I finished it in two days (4 hours exactly). Of course it was boring at first and the words and metaphors sometimes just lost you but when you've got used to the literature of it; it's a very enjoyable journey. And it's filled with suspense with all the conspiracy, the battle of witting and outwitted, and the fighting and you can't help feeling like you've become one of them; being there and just watch how things unfolded. And the story is told from a third point of view; like a narrator telling the story to us and I enjoyed it very much since most nowadays novels are usually from either a first or second person point of view. And it's really a satisfying experience; you can't never read what will be coming. And there are brilliant jokes and sarcasm with I found very charming. There were few times when I laughed out loud in the silent library and everyone looked at me with 'what's up with her' look. This novel gave me an insight to the life of people at that time and there are a few 'customs' I, probably we who live in current times couldn't understand. One of them is how they easily engaged in a battle (of swords of course) and literally fight to the death. You wonder how easy people were killed at that time all in name of honour (of them and the women they loved etc). And the second one was how easily they engaged in an affair. Yes, love affairs with married women. It was very refreshing; an age much diffrent to what we're living currently.

    Of course, there will always be an ending to all novels and that is the saddest part for me. Finished reading a novel give you satisfaction but a bit of loneliness at the same time; now that you've known, now that everything had end, there's nothing to do. The suspense from not knowing and the excitement to know more finally come to the end with the end of the novel. Also that can be done is to find more excitement and satisfaction in another novels. And sadly, the end did come for this brilliant work of art. It was a little sad when I read the last few pages. Of course the ending concluded what happened to our musketeers and how they lived their life after all the adventures. It was a indeed a sad separation with the characters.

  But then I found out Alexandre Dumas did wrote a few other novels about the main character, d'Artagnan and I would really like to read them. But of course our library doesn't have them and I might have to buy it on my own which I might do. Not now, maybe later because it's quite expensive here in Japan. In case you still haven't notice, I LOVE to read. Novels, story books, whatever but definately NOT the textbooks used during classes. Finding; encountering a book is like a meeting destined by fate; you will definately change after reading a book. No matter how small and insignifacant the changes may seem; you WILL change. Your world will seem bigger or perhaps smaller and somewhat different from before. And that feeling is vey addictive. At least to me. What kind of book will I read next? Is it a chick lit or a serious drama or a thriller or an adventure or a sci-fi??  Can't wait to meet my next book~~

http://emo.huhiho.com

No comments:

Post a Comment