Tuesday, June 15, 2010

~~My Mr. Fireman~~

Mr.Fireman is my best Japanese friend in 高専(college). But he quitted college in May 2009. I was devastated because I thought I could never see him again and everything happened so quickly. I didn't have the chance to say goodbye and see him for the last time. The last time I saw and talked with him was when we headed back together to the dormitory after class. We parted like we usually did; with a wave and 'see you tomorrow'. But I didn't see him the next day or the day after that. Then I got the news that he had quitted (for a reason which it's not my place to tell) and he had left; he had packed all his stuff and left. I heard it from my tutor and I was very shocked. But I managed to keep a cool face in front of my tutor but when I came back to my room, I cried.



Yes, I cried. I cried because I would never see him again, because he didn't even say anything to me; less a goodbye, because it was too sudden to lose someone so important in my life at college; the friend that I finally made. He's a very cheerful and positive person. He makes me smile when I feel down, he makes me laugh just by being himself, he is the only Japanese that I can actually call a good friend. He's a very special person; what we have between us is very special but in a platonic kinda way. He knew how I still feel awkward around his friends n my classmates and he would stay by me, he would talk with me and help me getting into the 'group'/ the 'circle'. Any foreigner who had lived in Japan would know it's really hard to get past the politeness and just be comfortable with them; just be friends with them. And he let me into the circle of his friends. And since most of his friends are my classmate, they didn't have much problem going along well with me. I was so happy; I finally made real friends; not the kinda of friends who you waved and greet but have nothing to say to each other once you're alone.


Anyway, I was DEVASTATED when he left college, without telling me anything; without goodbye. I wanted a closure so I texted him and guess what? He replied with the same energetic, life-is-great tone of his and said we can always meet from time to time and we can text all the time. I wasn't convinced; I've used that line with my old friends before and now I barely have any. But I stayed hopeful and he was right, we stayed friends. We helped me through my toughest time; during the university entrance exam period. It was a routine that I called him before and after the exam; and after I knew the result. I failed two universities and the first was the worst. I called him and cried my heart out. He wasn't affected; I was crying my heart out while he laughed and said I will do better next time and I will surely pass next time. And I felt better than people telling me they were sorry and they wished they could do something for me. I felt better when he laughed and made jokes, weird isn't it?


And after me, it was his time for his exams and interviews to be a fireman. It was a difficult exam and I knew it was hard on him too but when I called and asked, he's always laughing, so energetic and so positive. And I couldn't help smiling and be positive myself when I talk with him. Then he passed the exams; despite people telling him it was impossible, he passed. I was so proud of him. After that, his training started. He was so busy that we rarely talked. And he only replied my text a few days later after I had sent them. But I didn't mind, I know he's busy....


And now, his training is over and he's a real fireman. Putting out fires and saving lives. He's still as busy but he will always find time to call me. Usually he would call after work so our conversation is usually short; I know he's tired so we would talk while he walks from his station to his apartment. Up until today I still can't believe he's a real fireman. But he when talked about what he did that day, how he was down when he couldn't save a person caught in fire, I realized that it's really happening. And I worry about him; a fireman is not an easy job and it involves injuries and worst, death. Just a few days ago he dislocated his shoulder carrying a man out from a burning house. Ouch...


I'm worried for him but the only thing I can do is to pray for his safety. Please, be safe.... He's my good friend and I couldn't imagine my life without him. Life is Japan wouldn't be as exciting and as bearable without you, Mr. Fireman….






3 comments:

  1. huuu don't know why rase kandou gle bce post ko ne..obviously it's not talking about me..but seriously I can feel that you really love him as a friend..
    hope he'll always be there for u..

    huu miss u!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mimie!!!!!
    aku sayang ko lg from aku syg dia!!!
    ko dh xde dkt2 so dia la jd pengganti.
    but obviously, no one can be wat u were/are 2 me..
    really, truly, sincerely wish you were here..
    miss u more~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. huuu tambah2 terharu :) huhuuu Thanks for loving me more than Mr Fireman...hahahahhaa
    so ape crite die??sure da keje kan..
    byk nye nak catch up ngn ko..huuuuu

    Wish I were there too!!

    ReplyDelete