Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bostjan Cesar of Slovenia

Last night I watched the match between England and Slovenia. Of course I’m talking about THE World Cup. I wanted to watch it because of England; because I haven’t seen any of England’s matches. Since I thought it would be nice to see some familiar faces. Believe it or not, I used to be a fan of Manchester United (note the past tense). I used to love Gary Neville. I still do but not as much as before. For some reason, I just do, I don’t know why. But that was then. This was last night’s story. So I watched the match and there were a few familiar faces; Gerard, Lampard, Rooney and Terry. Of course Beckham was by the bench.


I was set to support England. It’s just a thing people do. If you watch a match, you just have to pick a side, right? You can’t not pick a side. It’s just so unfair to be neutral. So I was set to support England but one man; one player changed it all. It was Slovenia’s Number 5 Defender; Bostjan Cesar. Why did I notice this man and why did he manage to make me support Slovenia instead of England which was the only reason I wanted to watch the match?



He’s an admirable player with great sportsmanship. Why? There was this one time when he tackled down England’s Defoe (I think) and Defoe was in pain but the referee ignored it and the match continued. Did you know what Cesar did? He raised his hand and asked for a little time off for Defoe. He kept raising his hand for the referee’s attention although his team had the ball at that time. The referee noticed and the match stopped for a few seconds while Defoe recovered. It wasn’t anything serious or anything but I was impressed. I was impressed with Bostjan Cesar.


It’s World Cup, people!! Player had done more than usually jersey pulling and hard tackle and even used hands to score a goal. It’s the match where man would do almost anything; dirty or not just to have the ball, to get a goal; to win. But this dignified man was sincerely worried about a fellow player and to me, it was admirable and honorable. Maybe I’m just exaggerating but I was touched; after watching match after matches that didn’t really seem fair, his action caught me by the heart. And I immediately switched sides from England to Slovenia; in just a blink. Not that I really support England from the start or anything. Anyway, I supported for Slovenia up to the end. And after the match was over, who knew America managed to get a goal at the very last second. Damn I was frustrated!! I wanted to watch more of Slovenia; I wanted to watch more of Cesar. Sigh~~~


But that’s the result; there’s nothing that can be done about it. But I truly wish that I could see more of Slovenia. But bear in mind that I had found an admirable player; an football player with great sportsmanship. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I’m exaggerating. Maybe I saw too much into a one time. Maybe other player did the same thing too. But not when I was watching, not during the England and Slovenia match. That’s why I salute you Bostjan Cesar of Slovenia!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment